2. How long have you been a DJ and what is the reason behind wanting to become a DJ?
I have been a DJ for 11 years; I started learning at 12 right before I turned 13 and it’s something that runs in my family. I was the first girl grandchild and happened to be the first girl in my family interested in DJ’ing. My Dad and uncle were my biggest influences as they have been doing it for years.
3. How was the name DJ KDOT created?
Well my step sister gave me the nickname KDOT back in 8th grade and for whatever reason it just seemed to stick with me and everyone. It was only natural that it became my DJ name once I actually started to branch out underneath my family.
4. What obstacles have you faced and/or still face as a female DJ?
As a Female DJ there are a few obstacles I face with it being such a male dominated industry. Small things like when I am going to set up for events and have a gentleman helping me carry equipment a lot of people will assume the guy is the DJ and not me. I even get questions like “so do you really DJ or is this something you do for fun?” There is a stereotype behind female DJs not having skills and that’s one thing I focus on the most; the art and skill of DJ’ing. Outside of that one of my least favorite thing to deal with is the egos of other male DJs, especially when working together. Overall I think as a person I vibe with people naturally and stay focused on myself so I have never had a traumatic experience but it does happen occasionally.
5. What keeps you motivated?
Ultimately my love for music and a good time is what keeps me motivated. Also my desire to be my own boss as well. There is so much freedom within being a DJ that is indescribable. Singing and dancing was something I did early in my life until I fell in love with DJ’ing so the music has always been a big part of my life.
6. Who are 3 of your favorite DJs that inspire you?
DJ Spinderella – We can’t talk about female DJs without thinking about her. She was one of the first female DJs I knew of.
DJ Kid Capri – His energy is unmatched and he puts passion behind what he does. True entertainer
DJ MC – I met him through my network at NCAT and he was one of the first seasoned DJs to really take an interest in my craft and actually want to help me. Most importantly he is HUMBLE.
7. What advice do you have for female DJs who are just starting out?
The best advice I could give is to learn who you are as a DJ because you will not be like anyone else. Find your style and also be open to work on other styles as well. If you take your craft seriously people will take you seriously.
8. Where do you see yourself in the next 2 to 3 years?
In the next 2 to 3 years I see myself traveling a lot more to DJ. Between my background and musical preferences I would like to think I am very versatile and would love to be a traveling DJ.
9. How were you able to make a name for yourself? Are you available to be booked for events? If so what type of events?
Networking was the biggest thing as far as making a name for myself and ultimately my performance. I am available to be booked for a variety of events including: Weddings, Baby Showers, Birthday Parties, School events, Fashion Shows, Clubs, Mixing needs etc.
10. How would you define success?
I would define success as the point in which I have accomplished my set goals and even though I will continue to strive for more I am content with all that I have. On a smaller scale, getting request for my business cards or compliments after my performance makes me feel successful.
11. Are there any upcoming projects and/or events you would like to mention?
I am DJ’ing a Cultural Day Party on May 6th 2017 @ Greene St Nightclub. Outside of that I have a few private events this summer that I am excited about!
12. What are the top 3 things you have accomplished as a DJ that you are proud of?
1) DJ’ing in another country
2) DJ’ing a gym jam at NCAT that was packed with 1200+ people
3) Having one of my mix challenges go viral. My Love Come Down challenge on soundcloud currently has 29,000 views and rising!
13. Where can people go to learn more about you and your more of your music?
My website is http://www.theedjkdot.com. On my website I update my most recent soundcloud mixes and events. All of my social media handles are @XOXODJKDOT
If you want to book me, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Let Tay Tell It