Name: DaNae Grubbs
Occupation: IT Infrastructure and Operations Engineer at a large consulting firm
Current City: San Antonio, TX
Hometown: Peoria, IL
Colleges: NCA&T (B.S. Computer Science), Syracuse University (M.S. Telecommunications & Network Management)
I absolutely love to travel – I love the thrill in finding an awesome deal somewhere + having to research about my destination (neighborhoods, public transportation, culture, food, weather, currency, tourist attractions, local hangouts)
2. At what age did you start taking traveling seriously ?
At the age of 21, I landed an opportunity to do an internship in England. Under these circumstances, I had to travel there and navigate the country by myself. From this experience, I became curious of other places in the world and also felt empowered to travel anywhere!
3. What’s your favorite place you’ve visited? (If you can’t name just one name up to 3)
4. 3 places you still want to visit ?
Bangkok, Thailand (Going in March!)
Hong Kong, China (Going in March!)
Africa (Morocco, South Africa, Tanzania)
5. Best deal you’ve ever come across for a trip?
$214 RT to Lisbon, Portugal (2016)
$218 RT to Abu Dhabi, UAE (2014 “Dubai Christmas Deal”)
6. Where did you take your mom?
7. Was this her first international trip?
YES! She had never been out of the country or even had a passport beforehand.
8. What was the driving force behind wanting to make this trip possible for your mom ?
Whenever I travel to different countries, I always made it a priority to FaceTime my mom so she could see the different tourist sites and attractions (with me virtually). I just knew that she would have much rather preferred to be there in person experiencing it with me. My mom has sacrificed a lot for me to get where I am today and although I cannot give her the world, I can at-least show her it. Through my continuous “travel deal” stalking, our tickets were under $500 RT.
9. How many countries have you visited?
10. What type of advice can you offer those who want to travel more but don’t know how to make it possible ?
- Reach out to people that you know who travel frequently and inquire about how they make it happen!
- Save money now for a flight so that when a deal comes, you’re ready to book! ($600)
- Traveling alone can be scary but it’s normally the more rewarding experiencing.
- If you want to travel cheaply, it will require a great deal of flexibility.
- The internet has so much great information – you can research and find anything you want/need to know.
I have a ton of resources that I use to gain knowledge about where I am going + to make traveling affordable.
- Google Flights
- Nodmadness Travel Tribe
I hope this story will motivate those who want to travel but feel as though they do not have the means to do so. I encourage everyone who wants to travel to just simply do it. Do not let ANYTHING limit you because anything is possible! And in the words of my fellow people who love to travel, as DaNae said, #BookDatIsh !
Let Tay Tell It
Love it.. I always enjoy the pictures DaNae shares as she travels.
LikeLiked by 1 person